What is Keto?
The ketogenic diet is a low carb, high fat diet that puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis in which it burns protein and fat (instead of carbohydrates) for energy. When following a keto diet you target a calorie breakdown of approximately 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrates, which is only 20-50 grams of carbs a day depending on the individual. A ketogenic diet can significantly reduce blood sugar and insulin levels.
Have you ever been on a diet and felt like you were starving? Well, by lowering your carbohydrate in-take to such a low amount, consistently over a long period of time, your body kind of thinks it’s starving. So, it turns into a fat-burning machine. But consistency and safety are the keys.
Foods to eat
- Meat: Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Bacon
- Fatty Fish: Salmon, Tuna, Trout, Mackerel
- Dairy: Eggs, Butter, Cream, Cheese
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, Walnuts, Chia
- Healthy Oils: Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Avocado Oil
- Low-Carb Veggies: Leafy Greens, Peppers, Onions, Tomatoes
- Condiments: Salt, Pepper, Herbs, Spices
Foods to avoid
- Sugary Foods: Soda, Juice, Cake, Cookies, Candy
- Grains and Starches: Bread, Cereal, Pasta, Rice
- Fruit: Bananas, Oranges, Apples, Grapes
- Beans and Legumes: Kidney Beans, Peas, Lentils, Chickpeas
- Root Vegetables and Tubers: Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips, Beets
- Condiments: Salad Dressing, BBQ Sauce, Ketchup, Teriyaki
- Alcohol: Beer, Wine, Liquor
Be consistent. Be safe.
The ketogenic diet has been proven to deliver a variety of health benefits. And because it is a rigorous diet, it also poses some health risks. As with all diets, please check with your primary care physician before starting any modified eating regimen.
Here are a few things in particular to watch for:
- Keto can be high in saturated fat – so make sure you have a healthy heart
- Keto can create a nutrient deficiency – so make sure you eat a wide variety of vegetables and nuts along with your meat and dairy
Add some Keto to your coffee.
KetoCre® is the coffee “cream” that puts your body into weight loss mode. Automatically. If you’re a keto diet disciple, you’ll love this. If you can’t tell a ketone from a ringtone, that’s ok, because this product tastes great. And you don’t need to be an ingredient geek to notice that you look thinner and healthier. MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides), coconut oil, and organic grass-fed butter deliver keto-friendly healthy fats. This slow-burning fuel will power your brain and body without sugar for hours and hours.*
* These product statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.