Welcome to November – the gateway to the holiday season and all the delicious and tempting foods that come with it. You’ve probably heard that the average adult gains somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds during the holiday months. And most of us believe that’s true, says a New England Journal of Medicine study. And it’s no wonder: there are family get-togethers, work parties and treats in the break room, and the cold, dark weather makes us less motivated to exercise and to choose for a warm slice of pie and Netflix instead.
IT’S NOT THE HOLIDAYS…IT’S WHAT COMES AFTER THAT’S THE CULPRIT
But the truth about high holiday weight gain is…it isn’t. It’s a myth that’s more about mindset than our mid-sections. The same study from the New England Journal of Medicine says the real average holiday weight gain is .2% to .3% of body weight, or around 1.3 pounds on average. But don’t reach for the eggnog just yet!
Turns out, the holiday season isn’t the culprit behind a widening waistline. It’s the months that follow, when we are slow to shed that 1.3-pound gain. A 2016 Cornell University study said its participants took about 5 months to lose that small weight gain. And because as we age, it’s common to add 1-2 pounds per year, those tiny, slow additions can make a huge impact down the line.
For example, say you’re 160 pounds at age 40. If you add 2 pounds of fat per year, you’re only up to 162 at age 41. No big deal, right? But at that same trajectory, you’ll be 180 by your 50th birthday and tipping 200 at age 60.
WHAT’S THE TAKEAWAY?
Managing a healthy weight isn’t a goal just for January 1. It’s easier to add weight than to lose it, so the best approach is not to put on excess pounds in the first place.
Here are 5 easy ways to stay trim and energetic all year round (but especially when the neighbors bring over a plate of fudge!)
- Follow a routine. Our bodies are creatures of habit, and excellent habits deliver excellent results. Wake and go to bed at the same time each day. In your morning routines, include mindfulness, stretching, or meditation, even if just 5 minutes.
- Focus on protein and vitamins. Protein is the building block of muscle. Vitamins, including micronutrients, are essential to healthy tissue, metabolism, gut function and so much more. And when we’re on the go – particularly during the holidays –we can either skip meals or make poor choices. Enter The Happy Shake ®, which not only includes 10 grams of protein per serving, but 100% daily values of Vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, B5, Zinc and Folic Acid. It’s never been easier or faster to fuel your body well–there’s a reason we call it “All-In-One”!
- Rest and rejuvenate with quality sleep. Multiple National Institutes of Health studies have indicated that sleep deficits are associated with obesity and higher risk of future weight gain. And nothing disrupts our sleep schedules like the holidays. So, if shopping, parties, and other commitments are disrupting your schedule, add a serving of HCo.’s Unwined Chill Drink to your evening routine. It can help prepare you to sleep deeply and awake refreshed, without any lag. You’re rested and ready to enjoy each new day.
- Stay hydrated. Hydration is fuel for the skin and cells, and often we confuse thirst for hunger. Ensure you’re drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day–your energy will increase and your hunger will naturally decrease.
- Add some happy! And if your energy needs a nudge during the day, reach for HCo.’s Energy Caps – each capsule includes natural guarana extract, green tea, and coffee bean and cocoa bean extract for a sustainable energy lift that also helps curb cravings.
Best of all: the Happy Shake ®, Unwined Chill Drink and Elevate Max Energy Caps are bundled together in a perfect weight loss system available at thehappyco.com. Try it for a month, or sign up for SmartShip to save on these three monthly essentials that work in perfect harmony together. Make the holidays–and every day–your very best!
Check out the All-In-One Happy Shake ® Weight Loss system HERE!